Green mango is simply a mango that is unripe. You may have seen them sold in grocery stores, especially in Asian grocery stores. If you’ve never eaten green mangoes before, you may wonder if it’s safe to eat them.
Can You Eat Green Mango?
Yes, you can eat a green mango. It won’t taste as sweet as a ripe one (and it’s gonna be sour and crunchy), but you totally can. In fact, they’re a popular ingredient in recipes in South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Mexican cuisine.
If you do want to try eating one, here’s how to pick the right one:
- Look for ones that are firm and heavy for their size. They should feel like they have some heft to them—you don’t want them to be mushy and underripe.
- Look for ones that aren’t too soft or too hard at the stem end of the fruit—they should be just right.
- They should have a pale yellowish-green color, not too dark green or too bright green (that indicates overripeness). If it’s too yellow or has red spots, it’s overripe.
Is Green Mango Safe To Eat?
There are no known risks associated with eating green mangoes. However, you may experience mild stomach upset or diarrhea if you eat too much of it. Green mangoes are very acidic when it’s unripe.
Another thing to consider is if you have sensitive skin. You should avoid touching your face and other parts of your body immediately after handling raw green mangoes. The rash that develops from contact with the raw fruit can be very unpleasant and may last up to several days.
Benefits Of Eating Green Mangoes
Green mangoes are not only delicious but also nutritious. Mangoes are one of the best fruits for weight loss and overall health. They have a lot of fiber, vitamins B6 and C, potassium, and antioxidants.
Below are some of the benefits of eating green mangoes:
1. Weight Loss – Green mangoes are rich in dietary fiber that helps reduce cholesterol levels and promote weight loss by increasing satiety after eating.
2. Healthy Heart – Mango is a rich source of vitamin C that helps prevent heart disease by reducing inflammation in blood vessels and strengthening the immune system. Vitamin C also helps maintain strong bones and teeth by boosting collagen production, which makes bones more resilient to breaking during exercise or physical activity. It also boosts iron absorption, which helps keep anemia at bay while preventing tiredness caused by low iron levels in the body.
3. Prevents Cancer – Green mangoes contain antioxidants like lutein, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lycopene that protect against free radical damage caused by exposure to sunlight or pollution, thus preventing cancer cells from developing.
Can You Eat Green Mango Skin?
The skin of a green mango can be eaten, but it’s not as tasty as the flesh.
The skin contains an enzyme called “mango latex,” which is toxic when raw and can cause itching and hives if ingested. It’s best to peel your mango before eating it if you want to avoid this reaction.
What Does Green Mango Taste Like?
Green mangoes have a sour taste to them. How sour it will be will depend on when you harvest them. If the fruit is all green in color, it will be very sour.
On the other hand, if the mango has some shade of yellow on it, the fruit will not be very sour. It may have a sour and sweet taste blended together.
How To Eat Green Mango
When it comes to green mango, there are many different methods to eat this fruit.
1. Eat it raw: The best way to enjoy green mango is to eat them raw. It will have a sour taste with a crunchy texture. Simply peel off the skin, cut the mango into small sections, and eat them.
2. Chop it up and add salt: Chop the green mango into small pieces and add salt to make it more tasty and delicious.
3. Use it in salads: Green mango can be used in salads to add some extra tanginess to them. You can also use them as a topping for your pizza or sandwiches if you want to add some extra tanginess to them as well!
4: In smoothies: A green mango smoothie is an excellent way to start your morning — especially if it’s hot outside! Blend together 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt until smooth; then add 2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice.
Green mango can be eaten and there are many ways to eat them. You can slice them and eat them as an ingredient in your salad or as a sandwich or wrap. You can also use it as a substitute for tomatoes and mushrooms when making your gazpacho or pasta and pizzas. The uses of green mango are unlimited if you only take the time to research more about how you can use it in your favorite dishes.
Kate has been in the food business for over 20 years. Worked as a cook at several buffets which include Old Country Buffet, Five Star Buffet, and Ichiban Buffet. Now, I’m mostly at home cooking for my family, caring for chickens and ducks, and tending the garden.